Google Ads API – How to Replace Your Google Ads Data Sources
Due to an upcoming Google Ads upgrade, Plecto is migrating from Google AdWords API to Google Ads API. Here's what you have to do to adapt to the changes with us.
Google is making changes and migrating their Google AdWords API to a new Google Ads API.
It means that Plecto – same as all other Google Ads integration partners and our clients – have to migrate to the new Google Ads API. The Google AdWords API will be deprecated on April 27, 2022.
Replace your Google Ads data sources before April 27, 2022
Your current Google Ads data sources will stop importing data after this date.
Here is a solution for how to replace your Google Ads data sources. It is important that you follow the instructions. If you don't follow the steps below, you risk compromising your formulas, in which case you will have to rebuild them manually.
- Go to Data management > Data sources and find your Google Ads data sources.
- Open the data source settings.
- Add "OLD" to the data source title (see video below). For example, Google Ads - Client Name OLD
- Click Save in the bottom-right corner.
- Repeat the steps 2 to 4 for each of your Google Ads data sources.
- Go to Data management > Data sources > + New data source > Google Ads.
- Click next and select your Google account or log in.
- Click Allow to let Plecto access your Google Ads data.
- Select what data types to import and their corresponding accounts.
- Important ⚠️ Open the Advanced settings and change the data source title – give it the same title as the original data source (before you added "OLD" to the original). For example, Google Ads - Client Name. See Part 1, step 3 for reference.
- Click Next to finish and import your data. For each data type you import, Plecto will create one data source that will contain data from 30 days back.
- To import more data, open the data source settings and click Import more data.
- Select a time period from when you want to import your Google Ads data and click Start import.
Repeat all the steps in Part 2 for each of the data sources you need to replace.
Note on manager accounts
When adding a Google Ads data source to Plecto, you need to choose which Google Ads account Plecto should import. The list will not include manager accounts (MCC) because these accounts do not contain any metrics.
Make sure to update the fields and filters in your existing Google Ads formulas. Since Google has made many changes in the Ad Performance data type, it's important you go through your formulas.
Along with the upgrade, you now have two data types available for import:
- Ad Performance
- Keywords Performance
Visit our Google Ads integration page to find the technical details, such as the update frequency, custom field support, automatic data deletion, and more.
There are some changes in the new Ad Performance data sources, compared to the previous version of the integration. Some field names are changed, some fields are added, split, or deprecated.
We have gathered a list of field names from the old and new integrations. You can use this list to validate the field names in your formulas. Download the PDF: Google Ads API – Field Changes
Was this article helpful?
Please leave a comment to help us improve.