How to Display a Slideshow on TV
Learn how to add your slideshows to TVs and see your dashboards, notifications, contests, and more on TV screens around the office or at home.
How does it work?
Display your slideshows on TVs, computer screens, tablets, and more. All you need is to activate the screen, and there are multiple ways how to do it:
- Activate a TV through Plecto
- Activate a TV from the mobile app
- Create a slideshow URL (no activation needed) – anyone with the link will be able to open the slideshow and see its contents.
All activated TVs are listed under Visualization > TV management, and you can easily activate or remove slideshows in just a few clicks.
Activate your TV with a four-digit code
- Open https://tv.plecto.com/ on your Smart TV. You should see the following page (the activation code will refresh once in a while):
An example of the https://tv.plecto.com page that shows a four-digit code and a QR code.
2. Open Plecto on your computer. Go to Visualization > Slideshows.
3. Find your slideshow, then click Actions > Activate on the right.
4. Enter the four-digit code you see on the TV screen.
5. Give your TV a name, for example, Conference Room or Office Amsterdam.
A preview of the Activate TV page in Plecto.
6. Click Activate TV. Your slideshow will now be connected to this TV.
Activate TV with a QR code
If you have the Plecto mobile app (download for iOS, Android), you can activate a TV by scanning a QR code with your phone.
- Open the Plecto mobile app on your phone and log in.
- Turn on your smart TV and open the http://tv.plecto.com/ page. You will see a QR code on your TV.
- Take your phone and scan the QR code with the camera app (iOS) or the QR code scanner (Android).
- There should be some form of activity on your screen such as a notification.
- Click the notification – it will redirect you to the Activate TV page.
- Choose a slideshow and give your TV a name.
- Click Activate TV to finish.
Plecto TV app
If you have LG or Samsung TVs, you can install the Plecto TV app to make it easier to display slideshows. For more info, read Install Plecto on LG TV and Install Plecto on Samsung TV.
Create a public slideshow URL
You can generate a public URL for your slideshow and share it with people outside Plecto. Anyone with the link will be able to see the slideshow and its contents – like a picture frame – they won't be able to access Plecto or edit the slideshow. You can remove the link at any time.
Public URLs can be handy in cases where you can't use the Plecto app on your TV or when the device doesn't support cookies.
Here's how to create a slideshow URL
- Go to Visualization > Slideshows.
- Find a slideshow, then click Actions > Create public URL on the right.
- Confirm that you want to create the URL.
- You can now copy the URL listed in the section Public URLs.
All URLs are stored in each individual slideshow settings in Visualization > Slideshows. Whenever a slideshow has a yellow "Public" label next to its name, it means that the slideshow has a public URL, and anyone with the link can see the slideshow and its contents.
How to replace a slideshow on a TV
Currently, if you want to activate your TV with a different slideshow, you have to deactivate the TV and activate it again with a different slideshow. Here's what to do:
- Go to Visualization > TV management and find the TV you want to change.
- On the right, click Actions > Delete to deactivate the TV.
- Confirm the deactivation. Plecto will remove the slideshow from the TV.
- Now your TV is ready to be activated with a different slideshow.
We recommend using modern and updated browsers such as Google Chrome or Safari when viewing slideshows on a PC or casting them on a TV.
- If you use an LG TV, we recommend newer LG models with minimum webOS 3.5.
- If you have a Samsung TV, then the Tizen operating system should be over 2.3.
Was this article helpful?
Please leave a comment to help us improve.