Introduction to Permissions
Get an overview of the permission basics in Plecto.
Permissions are a security feature that lets you control what kind of access your employees have when working with Plecto. Our system is used by employees that have many different roles, and not all of them need the same level of permission. Permissions allow you to limit the scope of information employees can see as well as what activities they are allowed to perform.
Permissions are given through permissions profiles, and only employees with full admin access to Plecto can change or assign other employees to a permission profile. You can see the permission profiles, create new ones, and view the list of assigned employees in Organization > Permissions.
A permission profile is a predefined set of permissions that determines the extent of an employee's access rights for working with Plecto. We offer two built-in permission profiles, Standard and Global Admin, and you have the option to create your own custom permission profiles.
The first employee that creates an account in Plecto will gain Global Admin permission. After that, all new employees will be assigned to the Standard permission profile.
Custom permission profiles
To create custom permission profiles, you need to be subscribed to Plecto's Large or Enterprise plan and have full admin access in your organization. Visit our pricing page to learn more.
Plecto has two built-in profiles, Standard and Global Admin. These profiles cannot be edited or deleted.
- Standard: This permission profile gives view-only access to non-restricted objects. It means that employees with this profile can see all objects that are not limited to specific teams or employees.
- Global Admin: This permission profile gives full access to all features.
Each organization in Plecto needs to have a default permission profile. Having a default profile means that this profile will be automatically assigned to all new employees.
Initially, Plecto appoints Standard as the default permission profile, which gives view-only access to non-restricted objects. You have the authority to change the default permission profile only if you have full admin access to Plecto.
To set a permission profile to default, enable the "Default profile" option, then save.
To change the default profile, go to Organization > Permissions, open a permission profile, enable the "Default profile" option, then click "Save" in the bottom-right corner.
Change back to Standard as your default profile
If you want to revert back to having Standard as your default permission profile, deselect the "Default profile" option, then save the settings.
In Plecto, you can select multiple employees and assign them to a permission profile all at once. If the employees are already assigned to a profile, you can easily reassign them by following the same steps. To assign or reassign employees, do the following:
- Go to Organization > Permissions and open a permission profile.
- Click on the "Assigned employees" tab.
- Click the "Manage employees" button - a list of employees will appear on the right side.
- Select the employees you want to assign to this permission profile. If some employees are already selected (they are already assigned to this permission profile), and you deselect them, they will be reassigned to the default permission profile in your organization.
- Click "Save" to finish.
You cannot change your own permissions
Due to security reasons, you cannot change your own permissions, nor can you edit the permission profile you are assigned to.
You can easily see what permission profiles your employees have. Go to Organization > Employees. If an employee is assigned to a permission profile, you will see a permission label under their name.
Plecto offers many different permission options that you can choose from. Some permissions are included in others. For example, you cannot select "Delete all" without automatically enabling the other permissions on the left in the row. If you select permissions within "Delete all," it will also enable the view, create, edit and delete options.
This image displays the Standard permission profile settings.
- View non-restricted: Permissions in this column give access to see all objects that are not limited to specific teams or employees.
- View all: The permission options in this column give access to view all objects in Plecto, including objects with limited access (available to specific teams or employees).
- Create & edit: This column gives access to create and edit all objects within a feature.
- Delete all: Enabling options in this column gives access to create, edit and delete all objects, including objects with limited access. On some features, it also enables the "View all" permission.
- Full: Gives full access to a feature.
Was this article helpful?
Please leave a comment to help us improve.