Introduction to Permissions
Get an overview of the permission basics in Plecto and learn about the different permission options and profiles.
Permissions is a security feature that lets admins control what kind of access people have when working with Plecto. Permissions allow admins to limit the scope of information employees can see as well as what activities they are allowed to perform.
Permissions are given through permission profiles, and only employees with full admin access to Plecto can change or assign other employees to a permission profile. Admins can see the permission profiles, create new ones, and view the list of assigned employees under Organization > Permissions.
A permission profile is a predefined set of permissions that determines the extent of an employee's access rights for working with Plecto. We offer two built-in permission profiles, Standard and Global Admin, and you have the option to create your own custom permission profiles.
Custom permission profiles
To create custom permission profiles, you need to be subscribed to Plecto's Large or Enterprise plan and have full admin access in your organization. Visit our pricing page to learn more.
Plecto has two built-in profiles, Standard and Global Admin. These profiles cannot be edited or deleted.
- Standard: This permission profile gives view-only access to non-restricted objects. It means that employees with this profile can see all objects that are not limited to specific teams or employees.
- Global Admin: This permission profile gives full access to all features.
Each organization in Plecto needs to have a default permission profile. Having a default profile means that, unless selected otherwise, this profile will be automatically assigned to all new employees.
- To change the default profile, go to Organization > Permissions.
- Decide what profile you want to make the default one and click Actions > Set as default on the right-hand side.
Initially, Plecto appoints Standard as the default permission profile in your organization. You have the authority to change the default permission profile only if you have full admin access to Plecto.
Select multiple employees and assign them to a permission profile at once. If the employees are already assigned to a profile, you can easily reassign them by following the same steps. Here's how to assign or reassign employees to a permission profile:
- Go to Organization > Permissions and open a permission profile.
- Click on the Assigned employees tab.
- Click the Manage employees button – a list of employees will appear on the right side.
- Select the employees you want to assign to this permission profile. If some employees are already selected (they already have this permission profile), and you deselect them, they will be reassigned to the default permission profile in your organization.
- Click Save to finish.
You cannot change your own permissions
Due to security reasons, you cannot change your own permissions, nor can you edit the permission profile you are assigned to.
Go to Organization > Employees, and you will see the permission labels under people's names. This allows you to quickly scan each employee and their permission.
Plecto offers many different permission options that you can choose from. Some permissions are included in others.
For example, you cannot give someone permission to
Delete all dashboards without automatically enabling the other permissions such as
Create and edit dashboards in the menu.
Each feature has a list of permissions that include short permission descriptions. Here's how it works:
- View non-restricted: Permissions in this column give access to see all objects that are not limited to specific teams or employees.
- View all: The permission options in this column give access to view all objects in Plecto, including objects with limited access (available to specific teams or employees).
- Create & edit: This column gives access to create and edit all objects within a feature.
- Delete all: Enabling options in this column gives access to create, edit and delete all objects, including objects with limited access. On some features, it also enables the "View all" permission.
- Full: Gives full access to a feature.
Learn how to create a permission profile
If you have Plecto's Large or Enterprise plan and full admin access in your organization, you can create a custom permission profile. Learn more in Creating a Permission Profile.
Was this article helpful?
Please leave a comment to help us improve.