Learn how to merge employees in Plecto to avoid having duplicates in your organization.
How does it work?
You can easily merge duplicates or any two employee profiles in Plecto. How can there be duplicates, you ask? Sometimes duplication occurs if you integrate Plecto with multiple systems that use the same employees. For example, if you integrate with Pipedrive and Podio, Plecto will import all active employees from each system separately.
On top of that, you might have created some employees manually and, after integrating a system, you see someone appearing twice. You can easily fix your employee list in Plecto by merging their profiles.
How to merge employees
- Go to Organization > Employees in Plecto. You will see a list of employee names and an Actions button on the right of each row.
- Find the employee profile you want to keep (the other profile will merge and dissolve) and click Actions > Merge with another employee on their right.
An example of an "Employees" page in Plecto.
3. Choose an employee profile from the dropdown list. The profile you selected from the dropdown list will transfer all their data and dissolve.
4. Click Merge to finish.
Merging cannot be undone
The employee profile you select from the dropdown list will be permanently removed, and all of their teams and registrations will be assigned to the employee whose name and avatar you see at the top. This action cannot be undone.
Make sure the employees keep their permission
When merging employees, you should always merge the profile with lower permission (such as Standard) into the one with higher permission (such as Global Admin). This way, you will ensure that the employee does not lose access after their profiles merge. If they do, you can always adjust their permission. Read more.
Plecto can auto-merge external accounts (employee profiles imported from an external system such as Salesforce or Adversus) based on the employee email. It means that if you connect Plecto to multiple systems, Plecto will merge the employee profiles that use the same email. The merging happens when Plecto receives a new registration made by the employee.
You can see which external accounts (also called systems, data suppliers) your employees are connected to in Organization > Employees. To see more details, click Actions > Edit and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the employee's external ID and an email address in case they provided one.
Is it possible to undo a merge?
The general answer is NO. However, if you're getting data through an integration, there is a workaround. The merged profile transfers all its system connections to the main profile (the one you kept). What you can do is remove the transferred connections from the main profile and run a manual data import to get the old profile back. Here's what to do:
- Go to Organization > Employees and find the profile that's inherited data from the merged profile.
- Click Actions > Edit on the right. You should now see a form that you can edit.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and look for external accounts.
- Find the system you want to remove and click Actions > Remove connection. Read more about external accounts in this article.
- Find the data sources of the system you removed and run a manual data import – go to Data management > Data sources and open the data source settings.
- Click Import more data, select the time period and click Start import.
Plecto will reimport the data from your system, including the employees. After the import, you can go back and check the employee list in Organization > Employees. You should once again see all your employees.
Was this article helpful?
Please leave a comment to help us improve.