How to Change Someone's Email
Learn how to change an email address for another employee in your organization.
Only Global Admins or employees with full permission to the Employees and Teams feature can edit other employees' profiles. Learn more about permissions.
How does it work?
Sometimes you need to help someone else change their email address. We have a workaround for – all you do is remove the employee's login access and re-invite them to Plecto with a different email.
Change someone's email by removing their login access
If you are logged into Plecto, you can help someone change their email address by removing their login access and inviting them back to Plecto with a different email.
⚠️ If you remove somebody's login access and invite them back with a different email, they will be assigned to your organization's default permission profile once they log back in. If the employee is a technical or legal contact, you'll have to go to Organization > Settings and add them back.
- Go to Organization > Employees > Actions > Edit.
- Click Remove login access. Plecto will refresh the page, and you will see a confirmation message.
The employee currently has Global Admin permission. Once you remove access and invite them with a different email, they will be assigned to your organization's default permission profile.
4. On the same page, enter the new email address.
5. Click Invite to Plecto.
Type in a different email address and invite the employee back to your organization.
6. You will see in the employee profile that they now have regained login access to Plecto. Their permission profile has changed to your organization's default permission profile. If necessary, select a different permission profile and click Save in the bottom-right corner.
7. Your employee will receive an email with a link to create a new password.
The employee can rejoin your organization by following the instructions in the email.
New email already in use? – Merge two profiles
You removed the employee's login access and want to invite them back with a different email. Are you getting an error message that says: "A user with this email is already part of your organization"? It means that another employee profile is already using this email.
What you can do is merge both profiles, that way transferring all the employee data (including email, teams, and permission profile) to one employee profile. When you merge, you always start with the profile you want to keep.
- Go to Organization > Employees.
- Find the employee profile that you want to keep and click Actions > Merge with another employee.
- Click in the Merge with field and start typing the email address Plecto said was already in use.
- Select the employee profile that matches the email address.
- Click Merge. The profile you selected from the dropdown list will transfer all their data and dissolve.
Change your own email address
- Click on your name in the bottom-left corner.
- Click the My account settings button in the top-right corner.
- Replace your current email with a new address.
- Click Save.
Was this article helpful?
Please leave a comment to help us improve.