How to Create a Report
Build detailed reports and extract the most important metrics with Plecto.
Table of contents
Permission and subscription requirements
Only Global Admins and employees with access to the Reports feature can create and manage reports in Plecto. Learn more in Introduction to Permissions. In addition, you need to be subscribed to Plecto’s Large or Enterprise plan to use reports. Go to our Pricing page to learn more.
Create a new report
- Go to Visualization > Reports > + New report.
- Fill out the following:
- Title – Name your report.
- Available for – Select who can access the report.
- Show data for – You can select specific teams or employees and create a report based on their data.
- Click Confirm to finish and create a blank report.
All employees with login access to Plecto can view reports that are not limited. You can limit the access and make the report available to:
- Everyone – Give viewing access to everyone in the organization.
- Me and admins – Give viewing access to yourself, organization admins and those who have permission to View all reports.
- Me, admins, and … – Gives viewing access to yourself, admins, those with permission to View all reports, and select teams. The teams will have viewing access, but they will not be able to edit the report (unless some team members have admin access).
Add widgets to the report
Once you've created a report, you're free to fill it with as many widgets as you wish. There are 8 different widgets you can choose from. Learn more. Here's how to add and edit a widget:
- Click + Add widget in your report.
- Choose a widget from the menu.
- A slide-in menu will appear on the right. Enter a widget title and choose a time period.
An example of setting up a column chart called “Deals” that displays data for the previous 12 months.
4. Click + Add KPI to add a formula. The maximum number of KPIs you can add to a single widget is 20. You can further customize the KPI by selecting a drilldown option.
- (Optional) Title – The KPI titles are displayed as legend texts on charts and as row titles on tables.
- KPI – Choose a formula. Here you can also edit the formula or create a new one.
- Drill down by – Filter your metrics by specific parameters such as teams, stage, status, etc. The drilldown options are based on the fields available in your data source.
An example of adding a “Count Pipedrive Deals” KPI that is drilled down by deal status.
5. Group by – Each widget offers different grouping options. If you select Time, your data will be grouped based on the selected time period. If you group by KPIs, you will see each added KPI as a separate unit on the chart.
6. Accumulate – The widget will add up your data.
7. Compare to – Compare your data to a different time period or, in some cases, a target KPI.
8. Filter data by – Show data for specific teams or employees.
An example of where to select the grouping, accumulating, comparing, and filtering settings for widgets on reports.
9. Click Save changes to finish and create the widget.
Once the widget is ready, you can click on the legends to hide or show data or click on the data points to see your KPI details.
Change the widget type
You can switch between different widget types after you've added them to the report. If you do, make sure to verify that the correct settings are selected (widgets support different settings that might get altered when changing the widget type).
Most settings are the same for all widgets, but some widgets allow you to customize them more than others. Learn more about report widgets.
Was this article helpful?
Please leave a comment to help us improve.