How to Create a Report
A guide on how to create reports formed of highly customizable widgets in Plecto.
Permission and subscription requirements
Only Global Admins or employees with access to the Reports feature can create and manage reports in Plecto. Learn more in Introduction to Permissions. In addition, you need to be subscribed to Plecto’s Large or Enterprise plan to use reports. Go to our Pricing page to learn more.
- Go to Visualization > Reports > + New report in Plecto.
- Give your report a title.
- Available for: Select who can view the report.
- Show data for: Select what data will be included in the report.
- Click "Confirm" to finish and create a blank report.
All employees with login access to Plecto can view reports that are not limited. You can limit the access and make the report available to:
- Everyone: give viewing access to everyone in the organization.
- Me and admins: give viewing access to yourself, organization admins and those who have permission to View all reports.
- Me, admins, and …: gives viewing access to yourself, admins, those with permission to View all reports, and select teams. The teams will have viewing access, but they will not be able to edit the report (unless some team members have admin access).
Once a report is created, all you need is to add widgets to display your metrics. The reports in Plecto offer 8 different widgets that you can use to visualize your data.
- Click "+ Add widget" in your report.
- Select a widget.
- A slide-in menu will appear on the right. Enter a widget title and choose a time period.
An example of setting up a column chart called “Deals” that displays data for the previous 12 months.
4. KPIs: Add your metrics by clicking the “+ Add KPI” button. The maximum number of KPIs you can add to a single widget is 20.
- Title (optional): The KPI titles are displayed as legend texts on charts and as row titles on tables.
- KPI: Choose a formula based on which you're building the KPI. Here you can also edit the formula or create a new one.
- Drill down by: Filter your metrics by specific parameters, for example, teams, stage, status, etc. The drill-down options are based on the fields available in your data source.
An example of adding a “Count Pipedrive Deals” KPI that is drilled down by deal status.
5. Group by: Choose how to group your data. Each widget can have different grouping options. If you select to group by Time, the grouping options will be based on the selected time period. If you group by KPIs, the widget will display each added KPI as a separate unit on the chart.
6. Accumulate: Tick the checkbox if you want to display accumulated data.
7. Compare to: Compare your data to a different time period or, in some cases, a target KPI.
8. Filter data by: Filter your data by all or select specific teams or employees.
An example of where to select the grouping, accumulating, comparing, and filtering settings for widgets on reports.
9. To finish and create the widget, click “Save changes.” Once the widget is ready, you can click on the legends to hide or show data or click on the data points to see your KPI details.
Change the widget type
Plecto allows you to switch to a different widget type after you've added it to the report. If you do so, make sure to verify that the correct settings are selected (widgets support different settings that might get altered when changing the widget type).
Most settings are the same for all widgets, but some widgets allow you to customize them more than others. Learn more about the available report widgets and their individual settings in Report Widgets.
Was this article helpful?
Please leave a comment to help us improve.