Create a Report
A guide on how to create reports formed of highly customizable widgets in Plecto.
Be aware: Reports can be created and configured by users with admin access to Plecto. In addition, you need to be subscribed to Plecto’s Large or Enterprise plan to use reports. Go to our Pricing page to learn more.
Create a report
To create a report, go to Visualization > Reports in Plecto. Click on “+ New report” in the top-right corner. From there, enter the following:
- Available for (select who can view the report)
- Show data for (select what data needs to be included in the report)
To finish and create the report, click “Confirm.”
All users with login access can view reports, but only users with admin access can create and configure them. You can customize the viewing access of reports. Choose to limit the availability of the report to:
- Everyone: gives viewing access to everyone in the organization.
- Me and admins: gives viewing access to the report creator and organization admins.
- Me, admins, and …: gives viewing access to the report creator, admins, and select teams. The teams will have viewing access, but they will not be able to edit the report. Unless specific team members have admin access, in which case only these members will be able to edit the report.
Once a report is created, all you need to do is add widgets to display your metrics. The reports in Plecto offer 8 different widgets that you can use to visualize your data.
Most settings are the same for all widgets, however, some widgets allow you to customize them more than the others. Go to this link to find articles about the available widgets on reports and their settings.
Let's go through a general setup to help you get started.
How to set up a widget
- Click on “+ Add widget” in your report.
- Choose one of the 8 widget types.
An example of the available widgets. From the left: column, bar, line, combo, area, pie, waterfall, and table widget.
Note: Plecto allows you to switch between and change the widget type even after you have added it to the report. This option allows you to adjust the visual representation of your KPIs without having to create new widgets, but make sure to verify that the correct settings are selected (widgets support different settings that might get altered when changing the widget type).
A slide-in menu will appear on the right. From there, set up the following:
- Title: type in the widget title.
- Time period: select a time period you want to view the data for.
An example of setting up a column chart called “Deals” that displays data for the previous 12 months.
- KPIs: add your metrics by clicking the “+ Add KPI” button.
- Title: you can decide to give your formula a title. The KPI titles are displayed as legend texts on charts and as row titles on tables.
- KPI: select the formula you want to display on the widget under “KPI.” There you can also edit the selected formula or add a new formula.
- Drill down by: choose to drill your metrics down by specific parameters, for example, teams, stage, status, etc. The drill-down options are based on the fields available in your data source.
Note: The maximum number of KPIs you can add to a single widget is 20.
An example of adding a “Count Pipedrive Deals” KPI that is drilled down by deal status.
- Group by: choose how you want to group the data. The grouping options differ for each widget type. If you select to group by Time, the grouping options will be based on the selected time period. If you group by KPIs, the widget will display each added KPI as a separate unit on the chart.
- Accumulate: tick the checkbox if you want to display accumulated data.
- Compare to: choose if you want to compare your data to a different time period or, in some cases, a target KPI.
- Filter data by: select how you want to filter the data on the widget. You can choose to see all data or filter by specific teams or employees.
An example of where to select the grouping, accumulating, comparing, and filtering settings for widgets on reports.
To finish and create the widget, click “Save changes.”
- Click on the legends on the widget to hide or show data.
- Click on the data points on the widget to see details from the displayed KPIs.
Once created, you can edit, export, archive, duplicate, or delete your reports. You can export the reports to Excel or PowerPoint, or even schedule a live export that will automatically generate spreadsheets and presentations to keep you updated about your most important KPIs.
To edit, archive, duplicate, or delete a report, click on the “Edit” button in the upper-right corner of your report, or open the list of your reports under Visualization > Reports, then find the report you want to modify and hover over the “Actions” button on the right.
- If you duplicate the report, Plecto will instantly open a copy of your report in the same browser tab.
- If you delete the report, Plecto will ask you to confirm the deletion process, as this action cannot be undone.
- If you archive the report, Plecto will transfer it to the archive. You can see the list of archived reports in the “Archived reports” tab under Visualization > Reports.
An example of a list of reports and their settings in Plecto.