Notifications Based on a New or Updated Registration
Learn how to build notifications that are based on updates in single registrations in your data source.
Be aware: Notifications can only be configured by users with admin access to Plecto.
A notification that is based on a new or updated registration is triggered by a single registration. This type of notification triggers whenever a registration that matches a defined filter is added or updated in a selected data source.
If no filters are added, the notification will trigger for every single new registration.
Create a notification
- Give the notification a name, and select Send notifications based on > A new or updated registration.
- Select the data source you want the notification to look at.
Tip: To avoid that the notification triggers each time the data source or registrations are updated, we recommend adding at least one filter. Read the section below on how to add notification filters.
If you add a filter, the notification will only trigger once the filter conditions are met. This allows the notification to seek specific values in your data source, for example, deals, sales, opportunities, status, etc. You can also use filters as your targets.
To add a filter to notifications based on a new or updated registration:
- Click on the "+ Add filter" button under "Filter."
- Choose a field from the data source you have previously selected.
- Choose a filtering function.
- Input the value that you want to filter on.
The value can be a decimal number, text, or a date. You can either type in your target in the filter value field, for example, "Amount > 300," or copy a filter name from your data source, for example, "Status = Won."
Be aware: The filtering is case-sensitive, so you should make sure to type the text and date filters exactly the same way as they are displayed in the selected data source.
An example of a filter that is added to the notification for the data source "Sales." The notification will trigger when the data field "Amount" has a registration with value greater than 300. In this example, 300 is set as a target.
Note: You can choose to add one or multiple filters to set up very specific conditions for when the notification should trigger.
The available filtering functions are:
- equal to (=)
- not equal to (!=)
- less than (<)
- greater than (>)
- changed by
The "changed by" function calculates the difference between the previous result and the new result in the registration. It is useful when you want to keep track and get notified about the progress changes within the registrations in your data source. The notification will trigger once the registration's field value in your data source is changed - increased or decreased - by the value that you determine.
Be aware: The "changed by" function requires the formula output to change once for the notification filter to get activated. It means that to trigger the notification, the formula output must change a minimum of 2 times since the notification was created.
Enable the notification from a custom date and time
This setting allows you to select the starting date and time from which the notification will be enabled. Meaning, the notification will look at new registration outputs that are created from that point on.
For example, if you enable the notification from the 1st of April 2021, then all the registrations that meet the filter conditions and are created on or after the 1st of April can trigger the notification. If the registrations meet the filter conditions but have been created before April 1st, they will not trigger the notification.
An example of "Enabled from this date" field.
The default "Enabled from this date" time is the moment you create a new notification. Therefore, make sure to adjust the date as well as the time. This is particularly important if you have limited your notification to trigger once per day. In that case, set the time for the beginning of the workday.
Be aware: "Enabled from this date" will use the default date field from your data source. The default date can be configured on integration data sources. If you are using manual data sources, the default date is usually the "Created date," meaning the date when the registration was created.
Read about Date Modifiers to learn how to change the default date in a manual data source.
Enable the notification for teams or employees
Teams and employees are an integral part of Plecto's notifications. Each notification has to know which employees or teams to trigger for. Notifications based on a new or updated registration allow you to enable them for selected teams or employees.
- If you want to enable notifications for teams, select the option "Selected teams" and add each team you want to enable the notification for in the "Teams" field. The field will open a list of the teams you have created in your Plecto organization.
- If you want to enable notifications for employees, select the option "Selected employees" and add each employee you want to enable the notification for in the "Employees" field. The field will open a list of all the employees registered in your Plecto organization.
Please note: You must select each individual team you want the notification to trigger for. If you only select the parent team, it will not prompt the notification to trigger for its sub-teams.
Deactivated employees and notifications
Plecto will remove a deactivated employee from all notifications that are enabled for that employee.
- If a notification is limited to specific employees and one is deactivated, Plecto will automatically remove the employee from the notification. If you reactivate the employee profile, you need to add the employee back to the notification manually.
- If the notification is limited to teams and the deactivated employee is part of a team, no changes will apply. There will be no changes because Plecto does not automatically remove teams from the employee profile once it is deactivated.
Select notification actions
Plecto allows you to select from a variety of notification actions - choose one or combine several - it's up to you! These are the currently available notification actions:
An example of the different notification actions in Plecto.
To select an action, click on the desired action box. An options window will open. Each action has different fields and settings in the options window that you need to fill out. Once you have selected the notification actions, all you have to do is click the "Save" button at the bottom-right of the page.
Congratulations! 🎉 You have set up a notification based on a new or updated registration!