Import from Excel
Upload an Excel spreadsheet to Plecto with monthly targets, manual sales entries, or other data. This guide will show you how.
Importing Excel spreadsheets only works with manual data sources. To import, follow these steps:
- Create a new manual data source. It will host all your data from the Excel spreadsheet.
- Download a template from the created data source.
- Copy the Excel data into the template OR adjust your Excel spreadsheet to include the required fields for Plecto. This is important because Plecto needs to be able to recognize and sort the data you import from Excel.
- Upload the Excel spreadsheet to Plecto.
Read below to find detailed instructions for each of the steps.
Create a manual data source
To create a manual data source, go to Data management > Data sources, then click on "+ New data source" in the top-right corner.
An example of how to add a new data source in Plecto.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and choose one of the manual data sources from the "Manual data entry" menu.
An example of manual data source options.
- Plecto offers 3 templates for manual data sources: "Closed deal," "Sales target," and "Booked meetings." If you select one of these, all you need to do is click "Confirm" to create the data source.
- If you select the "Custom input" data source, you can create your custom data source. Give your data source a title, adjust the Permissions if necessary, then click on "Save" in the bottom-right corner.
An example of manual data sources in Plecto.
Be aware: If you plan to upload a spreadsheet that contains more fields than you have in your Plecto data source, Plecto will not recognize them and thus will not be able to import them. Therefore, you should add custom fields (columns) to your manual data sources. Add the same number of custom fields as you plan to import from the Excel spreadsheet.
To add a custom field, find your data source in Data management > Data sources, open the settings, then click on the "+ Add field" button. From there, you need to fill in the details such as the field name, data type, and others. Once you're done, click "Save."
An example of the default and custom fields in a data source. The custom field names are displayed in bold.
Once you have created a manual data source, you can export a template of the data source to use in Excel. It will make it easier for you to fill in the data and upload the Excel spreadsheet to Plecto later on.
Tip: If you want to upload an Excel spreadsheet to Plecto without using a template, make sure to include all the required fields (User ID, External ID, Date) and name the new custom fields in Plecto as they are in your Excel spreadsheet. This will allow you to avoid potential confusion in case you import fields with a different field name.
Download a template
You can download a template from Plecto to use in Excel. This is useful if you want to work with a new Excel spreadsheet that you plan to import into Plecto later on. It allows Plecto to immediately understand the imported fields once you upload your Excel spreadsheet. The template will also help you know how to fill in the data in the spreadsheet.
Go to Data management > Data sources, then click on "Import from Excel" in the upper-right corner. Then select the manual data source you want to use the template from, and click on "Download Template." Plecto will generate a template based on the selected data source.
How to enter data into Excel
There are several important things to take into consideration when entering data into your Excel spreadsheet created from a template. This is important because Plecto needs to be able to recognize and sort the data you import from Excel.
- Each line in the Excel file must represent a unique registration.
- Please make sure to fill out all the required fields (stated here below).
- User ID: Each line must provide information about an employee so that Plecto can understand which person you are referring to. Please provide ONE of the following:
- an E-mail of the employee. If your employee is not an existing user in Plecto, an invitation will be sent to them to create an account.
- an External User ID and External System Name that will be used to identify the employee. The External User ID can be a random string of numbers but it has to be unique for each employee.
- External ID: Plecto requires this field, but it is optional for you to fill out. You can leave it empty and Plecto will auto-fill the field when importing the spreadsheet. The External ID is a smart and easy way to later update your data. Keep the same External ID and once you upload your spreadsheet again, Plecto will update the registrations with the same External ID instead of creating new ones.
- Date: Each registration needs a valid date and time. Make sure to use the correct date format, for example, 5/22/2021 or 2021-05-22. Or use "Date" format in Excel/Google Sheets. If you don't add time to the registration, Plecto will add a default time of 00:00:00 to the registration.
Be aware: If you are using the employee e-mails in the spreadsheet, please be aware that Plecto matches the users to the provided e-mails. Therefore, if your employees already have an existing account in Plecto, make sure to fill in the e-mails corresponding to their accounts. Otherwise, Plecto will create new user accounts. Each user can find their e-mail address in the account settings by clicking on the user icon in the bottom-left corner in Plecto.
If the Excel registrations contain different first and last names than in Plecto, it will update the existing names with the imported names from the spreadsheet.
Upload your Excel spreadsheet
When the spreadsheet is ready to be uploaded, simply import it from the "Import from Excel" page.
- Go to Data management > Data sources, then click on "Import from Excel" in the top-right corner.
- Select the data source you want to import the Excel data into.
- Click on "Choose File" and select the spreadsheet you want to import.
- Click on "Preview" to open a preview of how Plecto thinks the data should be imported.
Note: The maximum file size you can upload is 2MB or around 10 000 rows. If the file is too large, you can split it to multiple files, then import them into Plecto.
Make sure to match the columns with the data you want to import. If some fields do not have the correct match, click on the drop-down list and select the correct field from the data source.
You can also choose not to import fields from the spreadsheet. However, if you change your mind and want to be able to see the fields after you have imported the spreadsheet, you will have to import the entire Excel spreadsheet once again.