A guide on how to integrate Intercom with Plecto.
Import your data from Intercom and see your support KPIs in real time. For each data type you import, Plecto will create one Intercom data source and store it under Data management > Data sources. Currently, you can import the following data from your Intercom account to Plecto:
- Activity Logs
- Conversation Parts
- Conversation Ratings
Visit our Intercom integration page to see the technical details, such as the update frequency, custom field support, and more.
Important note on Conversation Parts
Conversation Parts are the individual parts that make up a conversation. Due to the way the intercom API is constructed, the integration will be less efficient if you choose to import this data type.
For most customers, you won’t notice the difference, but if you have a very high volume of conversations in Intercom, it would be beneficial not to import these.
If you don’t import Conversation Parts, then the following fields in the corresponding Conversations data source will not be available as they’re calculated based on information from the Conversation Parts:
- Average customer response time
- Formulas using Number of times closed
- Number of comments
- Number of Notes
How to integrate Intercom with Plecto
- Go to Data management > Data sources > + New data source > Intercom.
- Sign in to your Intercom account. If you have already signed in, it will redirect you to the Intercom authorization page.
- Click Authorize access to allow Plecto to connect to your Intercom account.
An example of an authorization page for connecting Plecto to Intercom.
4. Choose the data types you want to import. If you select Conversations, Conversation Parts, or Conversation Ratings, you can enable Add teams to registrations for these data types under the Advanced settings (read more below).
5. Click Next to finish and import your data.
Your Intercom data is now connected to Plecto, and you can start building your dashboards. Find the list of your data sources in Data management > Data sources, or go to Formulas in Plecto to start building your KPIs.
Add teams to registrations
When selecting data types for import, you can enable the Add teams to registrations option for specific data types: Conversations, Conversation Parts, and Conversation Ratings.
If enabled, Plecto will automatically create a team and, when possible, add it to the registrations in the data sources. For example, if a team is associated with a conversation in Intercom, Plecto will create the same team in our system and add it to the relevant registrations in the data source.
This option is only available for the selected data types because Conversations, Conversation Parts, and Conversation Ratings can only associate one team with a registration. Agents and Activity Logs can have multiple teams associated with each of the registrations, which is not supported in Plecto.
You can only add teams to registrations when setting up the data source
Currently, the only place where you can add teams to registrations is when creating new Intercom data sources in Plecto. If you want to enable it but have already imported your Intercom data, please contact our support team, and they will enable this option for you.
Our integration to Intercom supports webhooks. Webhooks allow Plecto to update your conversation data in real time and let you see when the conversations are created, deleted, closed, and more.
Once you connect to Intercom, the webhooks are created automatically, and the following are the events we update instantly:
- User/lead initiated conversations
- Admin initiated 1:1 conversations
- Admin conversation assignments
- Admin conversation closes
- Conversation parts being deleted
- Entire conversation deletions
If any of these events change in Intercom, Plecto updates the entire conversation data in your Intercom data sources.
How to import custom fields to Intercom Conversations
Intercom Conversations data type supports custom fields. Once you've added the data source, you need to refresh the fields and run a manual data import in the data source settings. Here's what to do:
- Go to Data management > Data sources and open your Intercom data source settings.
- Click Import more data and select a time period. Confirm the import.
- You can now see the new fields in the section Fields. Click on the fields you want to add to your data source (the checkbox should be blue), then click Save. To see data in the new fields, you have to run another data import.
- Once again, open the data source settings and click Import more data.
Once the import is done, you will see the custom fields and data in your Intercom data source.
Looking for KPI inspiration?
Read our blog, visit our KPI library, or go to Plecto Store and see if there's something you like!
Was this article helpful?
Please leave a comment to help us improve.