Data Sources in Plecto
Learn more about data sources, types of data sources, their structure, and more.
Data sources contain all the raw data created manually in Plecto or imported from other external systems known as integrations. This article describes the structure and types of data sources you can use in Plecto to visualize your KPI's on dashboards.
Data source structure
All data sources have the same basic information structure that is organized in rows and columns.
An example of a data source in Plecto.
- ID: a unique ID that is used to identify unique registrations/rows of data. The unique ID per registration is used to update already existing data and it is an easy way for you to find a specific registration in your data source.
- Employee: Employees or members are a generic part of Plecto, therefore, every registration must be associated with an employee. The employee field is used to display the employees' names and achievements on your dashboards. If you wish to display, for example, departments on your dashboards instead of employees, you can use the name of the department as a member of Plecto.
- Created Date: the date on which the registration was created. The Created Date is the default date used in formulas. If you want to use another date to build your formulas, you have to use a date modifier. Read this article to learn how to use date modifiers in formulas.
- Custom fields: Custom fields can be added to a manual data source and can also be imported to Plecto through our integrations with external systems. You can add as many custom fields in manual data sources as you wish. The custom fields imported from integrations depend on the type of integration.
How to filter data in your data source
If you have a large data source, you can filter the information to find or troubleshoot particular registrations in your data source.
To view the filtering option, open your data source and click on "Filters" at the top-right. A sidebar menu will appear on the right where you can see all the fields of your available data. To apply a filter, click on the filter icon on a specific row and type in the parameters you would like to see, for example, all the calls with "Status = Answered". You can also choose to hide or view entire columns by clicking on the eye icon on the right.
Be aware: The filters are case-sensitive, therefore, make sure to type in the filtering parameters exactly as they are registered in the column fields.
How to use data sources to measure your KPI's
Your data sources contain raw information that needs to be processed through calculations to draw results and allow you to measure your progress. In Plecto, we call these calculations formulas. The formulas then display the results of your chosen KPI’s on the dashboards. Read this article to find out how to create formulas in Plecto.
Types of data sources
Manual data sources
Create manual registrations and use Plecto as your own CRM system! You can both create manual registrations or import an existing excel file with your data.
Add a manual data source
To add a manual data source, go to the sidebar menu in Plecto and click on "Data management" and "Data sources". Select "+ New data source" at the top-right, then scroll to the bottom of the page and choose the type of manual data source you would like to add.
An example of manual data source options.
How to add custom columns/fields in your manual data source
Custom fields are additional columns in your data source that you can add specific data to. To create a custom field, open the list of your data sources under "Data management" and "Data sources". Hover over the data source you want to edit and click "Settings" at the top-right. Then, in the section "Fields", select "+ Add field" to create a new custom field. Fill in the details such as field name, data type, and others. Once you're done, click "Save".
An example of adding a new field to the data source.
Be aware: Please note that only plain text should be included in the column titles. Inserting special symbols such as "()*/" etc. can cause formulas to malfunction and not display any data.
Plecto integrates with a variety of external systems/external data sources. Find the full list of our integrations here: Integrations. When you connect an external system to Plecto, it will display the same basic data source structure as manual data sources - with ID, Employee name, Created date, and others.
How to add an external data source
To add an external data source, go to the sidebar menu in Plecto and click on "Data management" and "Data sources". Select "+ New data source" at the top-right, then choose from the list the system you want to integrate and follow the steps on your screen to connect your system with Plecto.
How to edit an external data source and add new fields
On the "Settings" page on your external data source, you will find the title, the default data used in formulas, and the field from your external system that should be used as the member in Plecto. Make sure to choose the right member who is responsible for the registrations in your external system.
Add new fields by going to the bottom of the page and adding new fields that you need. When you add a new field, change the member, or change the default date used in formulas, you must make a re-import of historical data to make sure that all existing data in Plecto is updated. To re-import your data:
- Go to "Data management", then "Data sources"
- Hover over the data source on which you want to do a re-import and click on "Settings" at the top-right
- Click on the "Import more data" button and choose the start date from which you would like to import the data
An example of how to import data from an external system
What to do if your data source has stopped importing data or there is an error?
To find the specific error, you have to do the following:
- Go to "Settings" and click on "View logs" at the top-right corner
- Here you can view how much data there is and see whether there is any data imported at all
- If there is an error on the imported data, there will be a red triangle on the right side of each registration
- Hover the mouse over the red triangle to see more information on the error
- If there is an error then follow this short troubleshooting guide to refresh your credentials and please do not hesitate to contact our support team if you need any help